Saturday, September 15, 2007

Prostration and Self Transformation



Whenever I see Tibetan pilgrims prostrating in front of temples or in the street, I couldn’t help feeling inspired. Their faith in Buddhism touch my heart deeply. I told myself one day I’ll do the same - following their steps of devotion, and inspiring others of this great deed. This is the beginning of my prostrating pilgrimage between Nethang to Samye on May 1-18 this year.

One thousand prostrations
are not just to complete the count,
nor self mortification.

Each speck of dust on the fingers,
each drop of sweat
is for the self and others.
They are for changing oneself
To be a new one who is clean in body, speech and mind.

All the past sinful action,
All harmful bodily, verbal, and mental action
Since the beginningless time—
May they dissolve completely
Together with the flowing perspiration.

My father is on the right,
My mother is on the left,
My friends are behind,
My enemies are in front,
And all the sentient beings surround me in all directions.

I pray and make a vow
In front of the Teacher Buddha
With Bodhicitta pervading all my entire body
To stay in the Mandala of Compassion
Until I gain Buddhahood.


The above poem was written last year after meeting a group of pilgrims on the way to Lhasa. Thanks to Kandroma Palden Chotso for introducing me to the Longchen Nyingthig Preliminary Practice which inspired this poem.

Translation: Soraj Hongladarom
Photo: Jampa Nyima.

4 comments:

Keeratikhun Chuenchomrat (Champagne) said...

เห็นแรงศรัทธาของอาจารย์ ก็รู้สึกศรัทธาไปด้วย น้อยคนนักที่จะได้มีโอกาสได้รู้สึกศรัทธาและทำในสิ่งที่ตนรักและชอบ

การลาออกของอาจารย์ทำให้หนูรู้สึกอยากจะหันหลังให้แก่การงานที่รับผิดชอบเกินตัวอยู่ (ไม่ใช่การเรียน) เพราะนับวันก็ยิ่งรู้สึกถูกเอาเปรียบจากระบบที่ไม่เป็นและไม่มีระบบ

สิ่งที่แย่กว่านั้นคือ รู้สึกว่าตัวเองเกรี้ยวกราดขึ้นทุกวัน กลายเป็นนางยักษ์นางมาร ไม่ดีเลย

หวังว่าพระธรรมจะส่องทางให้หนู รวมทั้งทางที่จะไปต่อไปในอนาคต และที่สำคัญ หวังว่าจะมีโอกาสหันหลังให้แก่ความวุ่นวายต่างๆ ด้วย

Krisadawan Hongladarom said...

ผู้ปฏิบัติธรรมจะไม่มีวันตกต่ำ จริงๆถ้าไม่มีปัญหาเรื่องการเงิน การเรียนหนังสืออย่างเต็มที่จะเป็นช่วงเวลาที่มีความสุขที่สุดช่วงหนึ่งของชีวิต ตอนครูเรียนอยู่เมืองนอก ครูทำงานสารพัดอย่าง แต่ในช่วงสุดท้ายของ courseworkและช่วงเขียนวิทยานิพนธ์ ครูทำเฉพาะในช่วงปิดเทอม เวลาทั้งภาคการศึกษาครูให้กับการเรียนและการเขียนหนังสือ ทำให้ไม่เครียดและได้อ่านอะไรหลายอย่างนอกจากภาษาศาสตร์ เมื่อเรียนจบแล้ว เรามีเวลาทั้งชีวิตที่จะทำงาน

ชีวิตเกิดมามีความหมายนัก ใช้ชีวิตให้คุ้มค่าและทำสิ่งดีที่สุด

Jampa Nyima said...

Yesterday I felt so sad when I heard the news of the plane accident in Phuket. At the same time, it reminded me of the fragility of life. This flight should be a happy flight, but it became a flight to death.

At night, I talked to my retired high school teacher. She is a Muslim and is in Ramadan lent now. She talked to me about the impermanency of her life as usual. I told her that she needed not to think about it or be nervous, maybe it's me, a young man, who died before her.

Hope we realize the importance of the present moment when we are taking a breath.

Anonymous said...

krisadawan.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.